Assistant Swim Coach / Instructor
Helena Family YMCA
Under the direct supervision of the Sports & Aquatics Director and the Head Swim Coach, and in accordance with the Association’s and Branch’s policies and procedures, Assistant Swim Coach assists the Head Swim Coach in providing direct leadership, instruction, and motivation for team members.
Our mission and core values are brought to life by our culture. In the Y, we strive to live our cause of strengthening communities with purpose and intentionality every day. We are welcoming: we are open to all. We are a place where you can belong and become. We are genuine: we value you and embrace your individuality. We are hopeful: we believe in you and your potential to become a catalyst in the world. We are nurturing we support you in your journey to develop your full potential. We are determined: above all else, we are on a relentless quest to make our community stronger beginning with you.
1. Demonstrates knowledge of swimming skills, leadership, organization and teamwork.
2. Create an environment that is conducive to learning swimming skills.
3. Establishes and maintains standards of student behavior.
4. Plan swim practice workouts
5. Attend scheduled practices and meets for assigned swim group(s) determined by Head Coach.
6. Assist with the oversight for the safety conditions, including of the facility, at all times during sessions.
7. Models positive reinforcement with students and staff.
8. Assist with the maintenance and inventory of all swim club materials and equipment.
9. Serves as swim club instructor for the program.
10. Provide clerical support as needed.
11. Maintain an up-to-date list of participants.
12. Prepare and submit necessary reports.
13. Assists in the preparation of the pool calendar and activity safety.
14. Performs such other duties as assigned.
15. Be willing to teach other swim lessons at the Helena Family YMCA.
1. High School diploma required; previous coaching experience is a plus!
2. Excellent interpersonal and communication skills with all age levels, parents and the community.
3. Certification in American Red Cross Lifeguard/First Aid/CPR (or willing to be certified)
4. Must be willing to get additional certifications upon hire under Y-USA and USA Swimming.
5. Satisfy all district requirements with regard to physical health, citizenship and background check.
Effect on End Results: The purpose of the Assistant coach is to aid the Head Coach in the development of the swimmers, through mastery of swimming skills, knowledge of the sport, and goal setting. Swimmers of all ages on the team should gain an understanding of good sportsmanship, confidence, and the core values of the YMCA: responsibility, caring, respect, and honesty.