Transportation Design Engineer (Req TRANS01401)
This is a full-time position to assist with project management and transportation engineering duties within the Transportation Practice Area. This position will provide support for transportation design, transportation planning, and traffic engineering projects. This position is expected to perform a variety of design and planning tasks with minimal supervision.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following:
- Prepare fee proposals/goal proposals for new projects.
- Provide assistance with overall project management.
- Delegate project assignments to engineers and technicians.
- Manage budgets and schedules.
- Provide traffic engineering, planning, design, and public involvement support for transportation projects.
- Provide construction engineering management of roadway construction projects.
- Perform engineering calculations in support of civil engineering design projects.
- Provide MicroStation and AutoCAD drafting requirements in support of design projects.
- Perform field reviews and collect data for projects.
- Write, review, and edit planning and engineering documents.
- Coordinate with government agencies, client staff, and other professionals to obtain design information and approvals.
- Prepare for and present projects at public meetings.
- Prepare and route project-related correspondence and record keeping.
- Conduct periodic site visits to construction sites to monitor quality and progress of the work.
- Write and edit construction specifications and engineering reports.
- Assist with project marketing and responses to Requests for Proposals.
- Tabulate bid items and calculate construction bid quantities from plans and specifications.
- Estimate construction costs.
- Conduct planning level transportation studies.
- Assist with public involvement in support of design and planning projects.
- Consistently exercise discretion and judgment in all work tasks.
- Other engineering related duties as assigned.
To be successful in this position, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and/or Experience
Candidates should possess a B.S. degree from an ABET accredited civil engineering or related program and 4 years’ progressive experience.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations
- PE Required: This position is for a licensed engineer to practice transportation engineering in the state of primary practice, or should be licensed in a different state with the ability to get the required license within 6 months of hire.
- Must have a valid driver’s license and a good driving record.
Ability to work with mathematical concepts such as probability and statistical analysis, and fundamentals of geometry and trigonometry. Ability to apply concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios, and proportions to practical situations.
Job Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- MicroStation and GIS knowledge and experience is highly desirable.
- Traffic engineering software including McTrans, Synchro and TransCAD or PTV experience is highly desirable.
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret scientific and technical journals. Ability to respond to inquiries or complaints from clients, co-workers, regulatory agencies, or members of the business community. Ability to effectively present information to clients, co-workers, and the public.
- Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions. Ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form and deal with abstract and concrete variables.
- Must be able to use Microsoft Word, Outlook, Excel, and Project software.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this position, the employee is regularly required to sit. The employee is required to talk and hear. The employee is regularly required to stand; walk and use hands to finger, handle, or feel. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 10 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this position include close vision and ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.